Friday 13 December 2013

Review of live studio shows

Over the past month in Paul's sessions we have been learning about how to run a live television show in the TV studio. This is all in preperation for our factual programming/news assignment which we will be given in the new year (2014).

During our sessions in the TV studio we have filmed a talk show, various quiz shows and we have set up a news show with a weather section. My first role which I took on for our talk show 'The Ollie Potter show' was producer. This was a very challenging role for our first ever set up show because we had not done it before so we was all strangers to it, however I wanted to throw myself in and give myself a challenge and being a producer certaintly was challenging. I had overall control of the production and I had to make sure everyone knew what they were doing. I also had to make sure that everything was organised and that it would run smoothly. Being a producer also meant I had to organise a sound check. This involved me working with the sound operators in which they had to set up the microphones on set so they would pick up the casts voices while making sure the mics weren't in shot. Once all the sound equipment was set up and the sound department in the vision mixing room had leveled out all the sound I then had to get all the crew to be silent and then I shouted sound check and signalled the sound mixers. The cast then had to talk until the sound mixers were happy that everyones mics worked properly and that they were talking at the right pitch. The role I took on as a producer I felt I was more effective at because I like to have an overall look of all the roles and the role of producer gave me the chnace to do just that.



 
 
 
As well being a producer I also toook on the role of camera operator in our group quiz show 'Obvious'. Being a camera operator meant  I had to set up the camera in the correct position which the director wanted it and then once he/she was satisfied I kept the camera still and if I was briefed to I would move it and zoom in and out. I also had to focus on what was in the foreground , which was a cast member and then make sure the white balance was correct and the background also focussed in with them.
 


 
 
Codes and conventions
 
When we made all of the quiz shows in the live television studio lessons we made sure to adhere to certain codes and conventions which we regularly associate as an audience with quiz shows. This is so that it is easy to work out what genre show it is and therefore so that if it really was aired then fans of quiz shows would know to tune in. The codes and conventions which we did adhere to in our quiz shows was having a table central of the camera in which a host presented tthe show, we also for every quiz show set up two sides of the set in which each team would sit on their seats clearly indicating who is in which team. This helped us to contract with the audience so that they had a clear understanding.
 
All of these live television shows which we did film should normally be shot multi-camera because it makes the show more engaging and without the use of multi-camera shots the audience would switch off and get bored. The other reason why they should always be shot multi-camera is because you need a variety of different angles show to show the whole perspective of the set as well as clearly indicating different cast roles, e.g. host, scorer and contestants. The shows could of course be filmed single camera however like I said this would be very tedious to watch.
 
All of the shows we filmed which were, quiz shows, a talk show and a news programme were all fictional and they were scripted so the cast members already knew what to say. If these shows were actually aired onto live television the audience would not know that they were staged. This is because we made them seem as authentic as possible without making it seem fictional. The contestants on the quiz shows we filmed were however answering from their own knowledge and this was not scripted whereas the host already knew what he had to say. When it comes to filming our live factual news programme in 2014 we will however have to get real research and all the information on the show will be factual and therefore not fictionally scripted.
 
  



No comments:

Post a Comment