Monday 28 April 2014

Live studio shows job roles

In our lessons with Paul we have been working in the live television studio, in groups of four to five we have all put together our own twenty minute news shows which we will be assessed on. The whole class have to work as a production crew to make each groups news show, after many weeks of rehearsals.

Channel 21 News

Channel 21 News was the group I was in, the role I played in our group was director. As director I had to lead the creative input of the show, briefing the three presenters on how I wanted them to present each story. As well as this , I also set up where I wanted the cameras to be positioned, especially the moving camera as that was one of the most engaging shots, so I needed to make sure it was pulled off correctly.

Below is the moving camera for our news show, which I assigned Peter to, however he got all his direction from me. The camera started off pointing in the vision mixing studio and then it would move into the studio with Lee moving with it. Him being the moving presenter at the start of the show. However on the day, due to technical faults because the auto queue wouldn't stretch that far, we decided to place the moving camera in the actual studio and it would only move a small fraction.



Channel 4 News

For Karla, Dani, Yas and Andrew's group I was a presenter. In this job role I had to read the script off of the Auto Queue correctly, presenting their news show in a correctly formal manner. To prepare for this role I had to run through the script with my associate presenter Karenza. Once we both familiarised ourselves with what we had to say, we had to be briefed on how they wanted us to present each story.

Below is an image of me sitting down in the presenters chair, I am covering my face from the strong lights. This pointed out to the lighting mixer that the lights were too strong and that they needed to be turned down.





Untitled news show

For Dom, Elliott, Georgia, Ollie and Rosie's news show I was a sound operator. In this role I had to set up all the clip mics for the presenters, as well as positioning the boom mic stands and setting up all the shotgun mics facing towards the presenters. The purpose of setting up boom/shot gun mics and clip mics was because we needed a back up in case one of them decided to play up on us. As well as this, four headsets needed to be set up for the three camera operators plus the floor manager of the production. The reason for this was because the camera operator all needed to be communicated to the vision mixing room so that if a camera went off at an angle or it cut out, the vision mixing room could tell the camera operator straight away so they could fix the solution.

Below is an example of me setting up the headset mics which needed to be used by the three camera operators so that they could communicate with the vision mixing room.


I also adjusted some of the sound levels on the sound mixing desk so that I could check they all worked correctly.



As a sound operator I also had to set up the boom/shotgun mic stands, this is them all set up. They are now ready to be placed in the correct positions I was briefed on.



Box News

In Peter, Paige, Sid, Mitch and Lee's group I was yet again a presenter. Similarly for this role I had to present their news show in a correctly formal manner. To prepare for this role I had to run through the script with my associate presenter Ollie, who was the weather man. Once we both familiarised ourselves with what we had to say, we had to be briefed on how they wanted us to present each story.  I also had to come already prepared for the live shoot, by this I meant that I had to come in a suit to class so that I adhered to the terms and conditions they wanted.

No comments:

Post a Comment